Total Pageviews

Friday, February 11, 2011

When Rudeness Manifests...

Wrote my first ever referral today. I was helping out the Spanish teacher last period because she had to do oral tests with the kids and I was monitoring the class while she was out with them individually. One boy who is known for his orneriness purposefully dropped a fellow student's notebook on the floor and refused to pick it up. I called him over after the bell to let him explain himself but he was more interested in packing up and rushing out of the room than even looking me in the eye. He essentially dismissed himself and the Spanish teacher told me to write him up, so I did. It seems ridiculous that a huge disciplinary action started due to a dropped notebook. And because part of our goal as educators is to teach kids how be decent human beings, rudeness to this extent is completely unforgivable. Regardless of how good a student this kid is (and he's not, but even so), if a student is completely rude, he/she has not benefited from his/her education, or the teacher has failed that student. Oh, holistic teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment