Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 17, 2011

To Yell or Not To Yell... That's Not Really the Question

It's obvious that different teachers have different methods of discipline, and even different views on what warrants a particular punishment. But what's not so obvious is why teachers hold these different views.

Case in point: My write-up of the student on Friday. The principal has asked him and me to sit down and "talk it out." Which I feel is a waste of time. So does the lead classroom teacher who was also involved. But the principal loves to micromanage and give certain students a chance. Which I already did with this boy. But whatever, clearly I'm not the one in charge.

Here's another example: Since it was so nice today, the kids could go outside to play after they finished their lunch. The other school-based sub and I were outside supervising. I feel that this is the one time in the day when kids can be kids, and as long as they're not putting themselves or anyone else in danger, they can basically do whatever they want. However, the other SBS is a friggin' stickler. The seventh graders were sitting on the concrete wall that separates the playground from the parking lot, and I berated students who were grabbing at these students' shoes or horse-playing while sitting on the wall. SBS was watching something else. I turn my back for two seconds and a boy is standing up on the wall. Not only does SBS yell at him incredibly loudly, but he made the student go back inside. If I had seen him first, however, I would have asked him (not scolded) to not stand up, because he could get hurt. I also wouldn't punish him and make him go back inside. I wouldn't want to imply anything besides a safety concern. But the way this guy did it, it sounded like the kid was doing something completely unforgivable. Whereas in reality, kids don't always acknowledge danger. This teacher has a reputation for being a strict ass, but even so. I found that utterly ridiculous.

Sometimes specific regulations are bad, but in this case, the same standards need to apply to all teachers. It confuses kids otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment