Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 3, 2011

I need sleep.

Crazy, crazy day. The morning wasn't too bad, as I was subbing for the librarian and just had to check out books and shelve. But in the afternoon, something in the water must have turned the kids into monsters...

The last period of the day I had to sub for a self-contained science class. I knew most of the kids in there from the self-contained math class I used to aide. They were horrible. Part of the problem was that the teacher didn't leave solid lesson plans and I knew nothing about her materials or curriculum to improvise, so often they were left with not a lot to do. Toward the end of class, the SPED teacher from next door came in and told them their behavior was unacceptable. I was embarrassed that I couldn't control them. She told me to write up the ones who were being really heinous, so I did.

Then, I help with after-school play rehearsals, and the kids today were absolutely atrocious. Most of them didn't know their lines, but you couldn't hear them anyway because there was so much noise in the room. Even the kids who were on stage were being disruptive. The director said afterward that she wanted to stab herself in the eye with a stick. It was really torturous.

Also, on a completely different note, I came across this article (not from the Post this time, believe it or not) about former DC schools chancellor Michelle Rhee's new program, Students First. Shock, shock: it is riddled with problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment