Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Happy Students

Slacking off again. Oh well.

This has been an interesting week. Yesterday was no exception. First of all, my first period is a class of self-contained math students. I don't have access to their exact IEP's (individual educational plans, used for special ed kids) but my guess is most of them have ADD due to their inabilities to focus. Today they took a quiz that took about 10 minutes, and during the rest of class I graded them quickly. They asked to see their grades on the quizzes afterward (mind you, these are kids who are excited with their C's for the quarter grade), and I showed one boy, who was so unbelievably excited when I showed him he got 35/36. His smile was so gigantic and his "For real!?" statement was incredulous. This is a kid who's been driving me crazy from day one, but that smile wiped every annoying instance away. THAT is teaching.

It was also Career Day today for the seventh graders, which meant I had one extra period off, which was nice. Then the two eighth grade teachers combined their classes so the students could meet a Secret Service Agent. They asked her questions that would (hopefully) help them write their next paper. They were really interested in what she had to say. It was pretty cool. I saw the speaker again during the last period. It was quite the way to end a Friday and the week as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment