Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Deja Vu

I've said it before and I'll say it again: librarians are amazing. Today was the first day of the school book fair, and the library is set up like a book store. It looks pretty authentic too. It obviously took a lot of work to do. Especially considering the fact that most kids aren't avid readers and books have to be set up in an alluring manner to entice them to read. And they were. I was impressed. There was also a section there for adults, with several cookbooks that I was drooling over. But I haven't cooked a lot recently, and the last thing I need is another excuse to make desserts.

Also, I went back to the counseling head to get my alternative assignment and the teacher with whom she said to be had a dark classroom when I showed up. I was, again, confused, and hung out in the library instead of being productive. But you know what, I don't even care, I do what I want.... Seriously, though, without sounding like a spoiled brat, I have eight of nine periods a day (including after school) in which I have an assignment. I don't think it's too much to ask for a forty-five minute break.

And more and more, I am preferring Mr. S's methods over Ms. L's. Yesterday he did an activity of which I did not see the point, but it was fun. My questions of relevancy, though, were answered with today's activity. Though Ms. L's students read the same story and had an interesting lead-in, I thought Mr. S's was better (and more bravely) run. However, both could stand to be more transparent with their students. I think this is one of the most difficult things to do in the teaching world, but also one of the most important. Speaking of transparency, I really liked the fact that Mr. S. handed out a state-written rubric for essays and explained how his grading system was similar because that's how they will be graded for the SOLs. Hooraaaay for explanations.

No comments:

Post a Comment