Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hum de dum...

Once again wasting time in the library with nothing to do. So I read the newspaper. For anyone who is familiar with the education section of the Washington Post, you are aware that the two biggest contributors are Jay Matthews and Valerie Strauss. Pretty much every time, I feel that Valerie > Jay. Here is one of her latest, which discusses that one of the major problem with educational policy (and political policy) is failing to collapse reality with implementation. Reminds me, yet again, of the Jean Anyon book I read in grad school. Clearly, that book resonates with me, and if I were in charge of national education policy, I would require everyone involved in the field to read it.

Also today in the Post, there was another article about the changing face of poverty. Evidently, I work at a school with a large percentage of low-income students, though I doubt any students I encounter are in poverty. (Though it's really hard to tell with all the iPods, smartphones, and expensive clothing every child seems to have every day...) It will take a while, but it looks as if we are slowly developing a more realistic view of income levels, and maybe from that, we can hope to develop a more realistic and effective education policy as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment