Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Dolldrums...

Today was ridiculously boring. Not only did I not fill in for anyone, but I had hardly any tasks I could do. I was filing in the main office for about an hour, and after that... nothing. Neither the librarian nor the head of counseling had anything I could do, and I didn't know where else to look. So I fooled around on the computer and then went into the cafeteria to be a lunchroom monitor, whether they needed me there or not. I needed to feel useful. Then I ate my own lunch, and monitored again for third lunch. Then, once again, I had nothing to do. Your tax dollars at work, citizens!

Speaking of boredom, I noticed several times before winter break how prominent instant gratification is in our culture. It really hinders kids' motivations/patience/work ethic/what have you. Technology is certainly partly to blame, but that culture also comes from the fact that we pretty much encourage instant gratification in many ways. One of my goals, certainly, is to gain more patience, and impart this invaluable trait onto my students, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment