Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Catchin' Up

The play's final performance was Saturday. It wiped me out. Then I was sick yesterday. Blech. So this is an amalgamation of various articles that have come out recently that have resonated with me. No real thesis to this entry. Oh well.

Actually, I can narrow it down to two. This first one discusses NCLB and why it sucks. But the reporter states this more eloquently. Obama visited the school I interned at last spring, which is one of the most successful schools in the DC area (specifically regarding its progressive technology pursuits), and yet was labeled as failing. Riiiight.

This next one calls attention to the zero-tolerance drug policy in Fairfax County Public Schools. There have been several previous articles about this, mainly discussing how the outcomes of the zero tolerance policy have led to student suicides. Although the subject of this article did not kill herself, her adolescence was essentially ruined for something that was not even a big deal. I wonder if these things will cause Fairfax to adjust its policies. My guess, though, is that they won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment