Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Speaking of positive things from students...

Here is an example of work one of my seniors did this week. As part of my goal to get (force?) the students to appreciate the language of Shakespeare, I have been inundating them with activities that get them to think about how his language relates to them. So last week I gave them an assignment in which they had to "translate" 10 lines from Macbeth into text message speak. They actually had a really good time doing this, and of course, some products were better than others, but this is one of my favorites. It's from the beginning of Scene 3 in Act 2, when we are introduced to the drunk Porter:

Macduff: u asleep?
Porter: no lol. We r durnk
Macduff: How drunk?
Porter: I'm horny :) & I hav 2 p. I mite pass out lol. I wanna get with this chick but I'm not gunna do sex good :( I'm 2 drunk
Porter: I'm gunna pass outttttttt
Porter: I feel sick :(
Macduff: Didn't u black out last nite 2?
Porter: lol yea. But I like booze lol. I puked last nite 2 lololololol
Macduff: Did u wake up Macbeth
Porter: Oh s*** yeah. Imma bail.


This kid is clearly up on "text speak," and he was able to seamlessly apply that to these characters. That's pretty awesome. I like to think that at least something is getting through to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment